Cover for homeowners

Insure your home, and the stuff inside it.
It’s pretty straightforward.

Get a quote in 3 mins
A woman holding a laptop displaying ALDI Insurance.

Save up to 8%* on your premium with sensors

Choose to receive complimentary smart home sensors (worth $250) that can alert you to avoidable mishaps like fire, water damage and theft.

All you need is WiFi, a smartphone and active sensors to be rewarded up to 8%* off your premium every year.

Honey home sensor kit.

What can the sensors detect?

Sensors will automatically alert you when something is wrong with a notification to your smartphone.

  • Water leaks
  • Open doors and windows
  • Temperature changes
  • Sounding alarms
  • Mould risk
Couple laughing while cooking.

Protecting your home is easy as 1, 2, 3

Person using a tablet.
1 Opt in for sensors when you take out home and contents insurance.
Person placing a smart sensor under a bathroom sink.
2 Easily install sensors around your home in just a few minutes.
A phone with an alert from a smart senor.
3 Get alerted on your smart phone when an event is triggered.

Inclusions that make sense

House on fire during a flood.

Natural disaster damage

If your home is destroyed by the weather, we’ll cover reconstruction and replace your eligible contents.

A bulldozer.

Rebuilding your home

On top of your agreed sum insured, we’ll help with the costs of demolition and design fees.

A computer mouse.

Home office

Cover for eligible damage to your equipment with up to $20,000 of home office cover.

A masked criminal with crow bar and bag of loot.

Theft or vandalism

Get covered for the cost of replacing eligible stolen or vandalised contents with brand new ones.

An Overflowing bathtub.

Water damage

If your home and things are damaged by water, you’re covered for the clean up and repair costs.

A glowing heart.

New for old

Cover for the replacement of eligible contents at the item’s value today, not its depreciated value.

A hotel.

Temporary accommodation

When you have to evacuate, find a place to live for 12 months or up to 10% of your sum insured.

A gavel.

Liability and legal protection

If a visitor gets hurt in your home, get cover for medical expenses or the cost of a lawyer.

The sun gowing behind clouds.

Counselling services

After an insured event, get cover for counselling services with a registered practitioner.

These are some of the highlights and benefits of our standard cover options for homeowners. Please refer to the PDS for details on insured events that can impact claims, as well as other exclusions and limitations.

Advanced cover and extras for when you can’t go without

A baseball bat and ball.

Accidental damage

Cover for damage or loss to your eligible contents due to an accidental event at home.

A mobile device.

Mobile phones

Keep connected with cover for lost or damaged mobile phones up to the agreed sum insured.

A painting and a vase.

Individual items

Extra protection for your most valuable items that goes beyond your included contents cover.

A computer.

Small business

Cover for eligible lost or damaged equipment or stock used to run your small business up to $20,000.

A sun lounge under a beach umbrella.

Away from home

Cover for your eligible contents when you’re on the move anywhere in Australia and New Zealand.

A washing machine.

Motor burnout

Repair or replacement for the burnout of electric motors in appliances under 10 years old.

These are some of the highlights and benefits of our additional cover options for homeowners. Please refer to the PDS for details on insured events that can impact claims, as well as other exclusions and limitations.

Frequently asked questions

Homeowners insurance can cover you for both your home’s building and contents in the case that they need repair, rebuilding or replacement after an insured event (a fancy way of saying something happened and then you needed to make a claim). This includes protection from unpredictable weather and the impacts of cyclones, floods, storms and bushfires. Homeowners insurance also protects you against things like theft, damage and legal liability.

Homeowners insurance covers your home and/or contents against loss or damage as a result of an insured event. For a full list of the insured events we cover, please refer to our Product Disclosure Statement .

We aren’t able to provide you with advice on the replacement costs of your home or how much to insure it for. Instead, we use the information you give us and data sourced from third parties to suggest an amount of cover you should have. You should use this suggestion as a guide.

When considering how much you should insure your home for – often referred to as the sum insured – you should include the full cost to rebuild your home, including the cost of structural improvements on the property. But don’t include land value. Our policies include an allowance for demolition and site clearance, as well as professional fees. You should also consider increased building costs to meet stringent local council building requirements. If you are unsure of the replacement cost, a builder or architect may be able to assist you.

We recommend that you use a home building calculator to determine independently an appropriate sum insured for your needs, which you can then compare to the guide provided by us during your quote.

Your premium is based on a number of things, including:

  • What you choose to insure and how much you choose to insure it for
  • Where your home is and risk information specific to your location (e.g. the likelihood of a flood, cyclone or bushfire, or crime rates in your suburb)
  • Features specific to your home (e.g. building materials, the age of the building, and security features)
  • The excess amount you have chosen
  • Your claims history
  • Your age

In most cases, the higher the risk of loss or damage, the higher the insurance premium. The chance of loss or damage is different for everyone, so we calculate your premium based on your individual circumstances.

Normally, we can’t insure homes under strata title. They’re insured under a body corporate. There are a few instances where we can offer building insurance for strata title properties. We may also be able to offer contents insurance to cover any eligible fittings and fixtures that aren’t covered as part of the strata insurance. If you are unsure, give us a buzz on 1300 407 021. Our team will be happy to chat things through with you.

See more FAQs

Protect what matters most the ALDI Insurance way

Homeowners insurance product.